Reusable Packaging | Returnable Packaging | PPS Equipment
- Office Moves
- Product Sales
Packaging plays a vital role for enclosing or protecting products for distribution, storage, sale, and use.
Types of Packaging:
- Primary packaging is the material that first envelops the product and holds it.
- Secondary packaging is outside the primary packaging, perhaps used to group primary packages together such as bale-arm crates and tote boxes.
- Tertiary packaging is used for bulk handling, warehouse storage and transport shipping. This could be pallet boxes, stillages, bulk bins or roll cages.
What is Returnable Transit Packaging?
Returnable or reusable packaging is a material or transportation device used to store or transport goods such as plastic crates, trays, pallet boxes or boxes. The returnable packaging is delivered to the customer along with the goods, and then the packaging has to be returned to the vendor afterward for reuse.
Benefits of Returnable Packaging:
- An environmentally friendly packing solution due to the waste and carbon reduction involved. Returnable packaging is reused over and over mainly in closed loop logistic chains.
- Significant cost savings over traditional single trip packaging as the price per use is less than purchasing new packaging each time.
- Increased protection of the products during storage and shipment. These systems are stronger, more stable, water and chemical resistant, and can offer more reliable design options.
- Environmental benefits- the Packaging Waste Directive in the UK focuses on avoiding packaging waste which means returnable options are steeply on the increase. Instead of landfilling, which is unfriendly to the environment and expensive, returnable packaging has a long life and ultimately the materials can usually be recycled.